-20-foot length of ¼ inch polyester rope
– Portable lighter to fuse rope ends to prevent unraveling
1. Lay out rope.
Tie overhand knots at 30″ (knot #1), 39″ (knot #2), 49″ (knot #3), and 82″ (knot #4)
2. Tie small loop 10 inches from knot #4
3. Working backward with unknotted section of rope, loosen knot #3, pass rope end through and double knot as shown in steps 3a-3c. Allow approximately 10 inches of rope between your loop and knot #3
Loosen knot #2 and double knot, then repeat with knots #4 and #1.
4. Your rope should now resemble a halter
5. Gather excess rope at noseband and tie chin knot as shown. Slip over horse’s head.
6. Pass poll end through throatlatch loop and tie as shown. Pull to tighten. Remove from horse. Trim extra rope at poll and fuse rope ends with lighter.
7. The finished product!
Read on for advice on fitting your rope halter >>
This article originally appeared in the March 2002 issue of Horse Illustrated. Subscribe today!