|Edward Gal and Totilas won the FEI Best Athlete award in 2010. Photo: Leslie Potter|
The Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI), the governing body of equestrian sport, is pleased to announce that nominations for the FEI Awards 2011 are now open.
The awards, which were launched in 2009, aim to acknowledge outstanding achievement in the following five categories:
- Reem Acra Best Athlete, for the athlete (equine or human) or combination that, over the past year, has demonstrated exceptional skill in the arena and taken the sport to a new level;
- HSBC Rising Star, for a rider aged 14-21 who has demonstrated significant talent and commitment;
- Development, for a development project, individual or organisation demonstrating skill, dedication and energy in expanding the sport;
- Against All Odds, to celebrate a disabled rider or an individual who has overcome extreme personal difficulties to achieve proficiency in equestrian sport;
- Best Groom, for the often uncelebrated, yet important person who works behind the scenes.
Commenting on the awards, FEI President HRH Princess Haya said:
“The equestrian community is full of extraordinary people whose achievements in and out of the arena are the result of their outstanding ability to focus on their goals. The winners in the five categories of the FEI Awards share a deep love for the horse and the belief that equestrianism at any level is well worth the time and energy that they devote to it, as an athlete, a groom or as the initiator of a project that enhances the lives of others. Your nominations for the FEI Awards 2011 will help us to express our gratitude to and admiration of those people who deserve it.”
A jury presided by Princess Haya will select the winners, who will be flown to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to attend the awards ceremony at a VIP gala dinner, which will take place during the FEI General Assembly in November.
The closing date for nominations is July 31, 2011.
Click here to see the 2010 FEI Award winners.