Horse Illustrated and Young Rider magazines have a lot to be proud of in 2021 after the American Horse Publications (AHP) Equine Media Awards were doled out at the 2021 AHP Back in the Saddle Conference in Irving, Texas on September 18, 2021. The AHP Equine Media Awards are the premier awards within the equine media industry. It was the first in-person AHP conference since the pandemic started, but it was a repeat performance of last year for both publications as they picked up awards yet again in editorial and photography categories, and the biggest award for Horse Illustrated was Honorable Mention in the General Excellence Self-Supported Publication (circulation 15,000 and over). Horse Illustrated captured the top honor in this category in 2019.
The judges shared the following comments about Horse Illustrated’s entry in the General Excellence category: “Horse Illustrated is a magazine that is inclusive of all breeds of horses and all disciplines of horsemanship…The introductory covers are luminous through splendidly sunlit images. The powerful masthead and colorful groups of cover lines add excitement. Inside, the magazine design has a refreshing cohesive feel; it is the stylized typography in the headlines, along with the black-and-brown color pallet and skillful use of white space that create this good experience. The photos that complement the stories are narrative and well-positioned.”
Horse Illustrated captured the following awards out of entries that were submitted by the publication:
- Honorable Mention in General Excellence Self-Supported Publication (circulation 15,000 and over) for the January 2020 and June 2020 issues of Horse Illustrated (out of 10 entries)
- 2nd place in Editorial Action Photograph for “Horses From Above” by Shelley Paulson (out of 7 entries)
- 3rd place in Self-Supported Publication Feature Single Article for “Shining a Light” by Amy Hempe in the October 2020 issue (out of 34 entries)
- 3rd place in the Instructional Single Article for “Clicks and Flicks” by Daniel Johnson in the June 2020 issue (out of 16 issues)
Freelance contributors received the following honors for their work published in Horse Illustrated and Young Rider:
- 2nd place in Freelance Wrtier Equine-Related Journalism Article for “Becoming a Trainer” by Jennifer Bryant in the Summer 2020 issue of Young Rider magazine (out of 6 entries)
- 2nd place in Freelance Editorial Action Photograph for “Horses From Above” by Shelley Paulson (out of 6 entries)
- Honorable Mention in Self-Supported Publication Horse Care Single Article for “The Retiree’s Workout Regimen” by Kara Stewart in the October 2020 issue of Horse Illustrated (out of 24 entries)
- Honorable Mention in Self-Supported Publication Horse Care Single Article for “Scratch That” by Allison Rehnborg in the September 2020 issue of Horse Illustrated (out of 24 entries)
The 2021 Equine Media Awards competition for material published in 2020 included a total of 643 entries in 56 classes by 98 members, 33 Publishing Media members, 19 Media Professional members, and 14 Business members. The complete results are available online in the awards program (PDF format) and video of the winning entries at www.americanhorsepubs.org/ahp-awards-contest.
For a complete list of awards won by Horse Illustrated and Young Rider over the years, visit www.horseillustrated.com/horse-illustrated-awards.