Q: I own a 20-year-old Welsh Pony that recently had laminitis. She’s fine now, but the vet says she can’t have much sugar. My pony loves treats though, and I was wondering if you know of any substitutes.
Here’s a good recipe for some healthy, sugar-free treats for your pony.
Nickers Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a metal mixing bowl, combine:
- 1 pound ground flaxseed
- 1⁄2 cup whole oats
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Mix well until evenly blended.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and mix carefully. When the dough is fairly stiff, spread onto baking tray to an even thickness. Cut into small squares, or use cookie cutters to create fun shapes before baking. Bake 60-70 min at 350˚ F. After cooling, store in an airtight container.
Tip: Keep these treats in a cool, dry place. They can spoil quickly, so share them with friends!
This article originally appeared in the November/December 2016 issue of Young Rider magazine. Click here to subscribe!