Unfortunately, preventable barn fires claim the lives of horses every year. Keep your barn safe with these fire prevention tips:
- Ban smoking in and around the barn.
- Install an alarm and sprinkler system.
- Keep the barn clean, and clear any dry brush within a 50-foot radius.
- Avoid using unsecured heat lamps or heaters, and never use them near bedding, hay or other combustibles.
- Store hay and bedding away from the barn.
- Check with your fire department regarding placement of fire extinguishers and hoses.
- Don’t store any gasoline-powered equipment or flammable chemicals in the barn.
- Have an electrician check your electrical system on a regular basis, and keep all wires, switches and outlets well away from curious equines.
- Install a grounded lightning rod system to protect your barn during electrical storms.
We do the same things an have the same rules around my barn.
good Ideas I already knew most though.