For emergencies or when career demands require time away from home, or you simply would like to get away, you need experienced, competent backup support.
- Post a list in your barn of people to call in a crisis.
- Find a reliable farm-sitter for emergencies, vacations and travel.
- Scout out schools, colleges, 4-H club members or riding groups for kids who will gladly muck stalls for riding privileges or extra cash.
- If you have an empty stall (yeah right!), trade board for barn chores.
- Locate a hay supplier who can deliver and stack.
- In a horse community, contact a neighbor to set up a disaster plan in case either of you has a fire or needs to relocate horses immediately.