Tractor Lingo

Let HorseChannel help you figure out common tractor lingo with this translation list

You can probably figure out what a plow is, but there is some tractor terminology that’s foreign to first-time tractor buyers. Here’s a translation guide to help get you up to speed on basic tractor lingo:

Blade: A heavy blade that can be attached to a tractor. It’s used for leveling, scraping and smoothing dirt.

Box scraper: A rectangular steel box, often equipped with adjustable digging teeth. This attachment is towed behind a tractor to scrape and contour terrain.

Brush Hog: A generic term used for certain mower types that attach to tractors. These mowers can tackle rough-cut fields and pastures. Brush hogs are also called “field mowers”. Another mower type–“finish mower”–is used for easier jobs like lawn and turf mowing.

FOPS: The acronym for Falling Objects Protective Structure. A tractor that has FOPS features a strong protective roof over the driver’s cab. Not all tractors feature FOPS.

Grey market tractor: A used tractor imported from a foreign country.

Hydrostatic transmission: Automatically varies a tractor’s forward or reverse speed within a gear range based on gas pedal pressure applied by the driver.

Implement: A piece of equipment that attaches to a tractor; also called an attachment.

Loader: Sometimes called a front bucket, a loader is an attachment that connects to the front of the tractor and is used to load and move heavy materials.

PTO: This stands for Power-Take-Off. The PTO powers tractor attachments, such as mowers and tillers.

ROPS: Stands for Roll Over Protection Structure. All tractors should feature a ROPS, which is a roll bar or similar device that protects the driver in case of a roll over.

Three-Point Hitch: The three-point hitch is a hydraulic lift located at the back of the tractor that lets you connect different attachments.

Related Articles

Tractor Size
Tractor Attachments
Tractor Safety


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here