Pumpkin Carving Instructions
- Once you’ve hollowed out your pumpkin, choose which design you’d like to use. Click on one of the images below to download the full-sized stencil.
- Print out the page, then tape or pin it to your pumpkin. Tip: If you pin the page to the pumpkin, put the pins on the edge of the image so you don’t end up with extra holes in your pumpkin.
- Use a pushpin to poke holes along the edge of the design so that when you remove the stencil, you will still have an outline visible on the face of the pumpkin. Poke the holes 1/4″ to 1/8″ apart. Make sure you get every detail of the image.
- Carve the small details first, then move on to the larger sections.
- To create a final result with multiple tones, carve the outer skin from the pumpkin, but leave just enough of the white flesh in tact to allow some light to pass through. This can be tricky to do, so carve carefully!
See how the horsey jack o’ lanterns turned out in The Near Side blog >>
Read about throwing a horsey Halloween party >>