A tragic barn fire in Footville, Wisc., last week killed 24 horses and destroyed the stable where they were housed. The facility was home to an equine rescue called the Humane Organization Rescuing and Saving Equines (HORSE, Inc.). A few of the horses that perished in the fire were personal horses of the organization’s owners, Cindy and Jim Bondowski, but the rest were rescues being rehabilitated for adoption.
Fire officials stated that the blaze was most likely the result of an electrical issue or heater malfunction. Seven horses escaped the fire, and the organization had several horses living outside in the pasture. The Bondowskis are now seeking a new facility to house these horses and to become the new headquarters of HORSE, Inc.
In addition to the loss of many of the horses and the barn, much of the farm’s equipment, hay and grain also burned in the fire.
To learn more about HORSE, including how you can help the rebuilding process and care for the surviving horses, click here.
Extinguish the Threat of Barn Fires