|Canadian dressage rider Jacqueline Brooks wore a helmet in her grand prix freestyle at the 2010 Kentucky Cup competition. Photo: Leslie Potter|
In response to increased safety concerns in the dressage community, Canada’s governing body of equestrian sport has announced a new rule mandating helmets for some dressage competitors.
Equine Canada’s rule follows a similar rule change from the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) that took effect earlier this year. Under the USEF’s rule, all riders are required to wear ASTM/SEI certified helmets while mounted with an exception for riders 18 and older competing only in FEI tests, Prix St. Georges and above.
Read more at EquineCanada.ca
As of May 1st, 2011, the following rule regarding safety headgear will be adopted by Dressage Canada: E4.0 Safety Headgear
1. ASTM/SEI or BSI approved headgear must be worn by all riders showing Fourth Level and below, regardless of age, when mounted on the showgrounds at EC Bronze, Silver and Gold competitions.
2. ASTM/SEI or BSI approved headgear must be worn by all non-competing riders mounted on any competing horse at EC Bronze, Silver and Gold competitions.
3. All riders of any age while on non-competing horses must wear protective headgear at all times while mounted on the competition grounds.
4. The penalty for contravening 4.0.1 is elimination.
5. Non-competing riders who contravene 4.0.2 and/or 4.0.3 will be instructed to dismount until wearing an ASTM/SEI or BSI approved helmet.
Note: At the tack check which follows the test, the steward may ask the rider to dismount so that the helmet may be inspected for the ASTM/SEI or BSI label.
This rule would set good guide lines for everyone, specially children.
FINALLY– I am sick of hearing people’s arguments against wearing helmets. Just do it. Its stupid not to.
HELMET WEARING SHOULD ME MANDATORY FOR EVERY HORSE RIDER IN EVERY DISCIPLINE EVERYWHERE!!! NO MATTER WHAT AGE EITHER! THIS SHOULD ALSO APPLY TO THE RODEO PARTICIPANTS AS WELL. (BARRELS, POLES, ROPING, BRONC RIDING, BULL RIDING!! ETC.) I MEAN COME ON. IF YOU ARE ON THE BACK OF AN ANIMAL THAT CAN GIVE YOU BRAIN DAMAGE FROM A FALL, SHOULDNT YOU BE SMART ENOUGH TO PUT ON A HELMET? SO WHAT IF A SPECIFIC HAT “LOOKS” BETTER, LOOKING BETTER IS NOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR BRAIN! I VOTE FOR A RULE TO BE MADE FOR ANY TIME YOU ARE RIDING AN ANIMAL NO MATTER YOUR AGE, YOU MUST WEAR A HELMET!! WHAT A GOOD START FOR CANADA!
I’m glad they are finally making helmets mandatory, even if it takes awhile for everyone to have to wear them.
It is about time they are making them wear helmets cause you never know what is going to happen so it’s good that they are thinking of safety.
Wow, I wear a helmet anyway, because you never know what could happen. I’d hate to be unable to ride for months and months due to a head injury just because I didn’t wear one.
That’s great! At least the Canadian have their heads on straight.
This is very good! I know they are good riders, but things can happen. I wear a helmet because hitting your head in a certain spot can be the end of your life and I sure do not want anything like that to happen. I like this rule!