Edited Press Release
Prompted by reports across all breeds and disciplines confirming inappropriate use of medication for the purpose of gaining advantage in competition in today’s show arena, the USEF leadership, in concert with the USEF Drugs & Medication and USEF Veterinary Committees, is soliciting information from stakeholders. Information gained in these forums will guide industry reform and regulation aimed at insuring the health and well being of the horse in our sport.
Additional USEF Town Hall Meetings will be scheduled in the following locations. Look for updates regarding specific times and locations for these forums.
- Lexington, VA – Virginia Horse Park – First week in May
- North Salem, NY – Old Salem Farm – Mid-May
- Lexington, KY – Kentucky Horse Park – Mid-May
- Parker, CO – Colorado Horse Park – June
- San Juan Capistrano, CA – Blenheim Equisports – June
- Bend, OR – High Desert Classics – July
USEF Town Hall Discussion Topics will include:
- USEF Leadership Speaks to the Industry-Wide Focus on Welfare of the Horse today
- Introduction and Review of the American Association of Equine Practitioner’s Guidelines for Treating Performance Horses with discussion of USEF enhancements leading to the adoption of the Guidelines as Industry Standards
- Overview of USEF and FEI Medication Rules
- Regulatory & Enforcement Issues
- Owner-Trainer-Veterinarian Relationship and Responsibility
- Next Steps – Call for Industry Reform
All USEF stakeholders are invited to attend these sessions in person. The USEF is also seeking input from interested parties who might not be able to attend in person. Simply respond to the topics outlined above by sending an email to: email@example.com. Your input will be compiled and presented to the Town Hall forums.