Edited Press Release
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Established 501(c)(3) equine rescues and sanctuaries located within the United States, in good standing with the ASPCA.
- Must participate in the rehabilitation and placement of 12 or more retired race horses (of any breed) or offer sanctuary to 25 or more retirees annually
- Preference will be given to those programs that forbid the breeding of retired racers when all other considerations are equal
- Preference will be given to GFAS-accredited organizations when all other considerations are equal
- Must take back their returns when adoptions fail for whatever reason
Grants may be used to support the following programs:
- Adoption programs that place retired broodmares and other cast-offs from the breeding/racing industry
- Training programs that improve adoption rates
- Capital improvement grants to expand capacity, improve efficiency, or build a training arena
- Lay-up grants to allow injured retirees time to heal
- Sanctuary enrichment grants for long-term residents
- Model adoption programs/innovative adoption promotions
Grants are typically for one year or under, and generally range from $5,000-$35,000. Requests should not exceed 10% of an organization’s annual budget.
To access the grant application, click here.
Please note that you will need to know your Federal Tax ID/Employer Identification Number (EIN) to complete your application. You will also be asked to upload a “Financial Statement,” which may be (in order of preference): a detailed Form 990, audited or unaudited financial statements from the last completed year, or a revenue and expense statement of the last completed year.
Please note these important dates:
- Full applications must be received electronically through the above link no later than 11:59 pm ET on May 27, 2013. The ASPCA does not accept grant applications in any other format.
- Applicants will be notified of a funding decision by June 14, 2013. Please do not inquire about your grant application prior to that date.
For program-related inquiries, please contact Jacque.email@example.com. For application submission inquiries/technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Usual ASPCA guidelines and reporting apply.
The Ex-Racehorse Factor