There’s no need to tote everything but the kitchen sink to the show ring with you. Professional grooming expert Liv Gude’s ringside essentials will fit into a small bucket:
- Hoof pick with brush.
- Hoof polish/oil for touch-ups.
- Elastic bands to repair a braid, if needed.
- Zip ties for emergency tack repair.
- Dry washcloth for last-minute wipe-down.
- Damp washcloth to remove any slobber.
- Bottles of water for rider (and groom).
For last-minute touch-ups before entering the ring, Quarter Horse trainer Roger Daly relies simply on a clean, dry towel to wipe off any dust, and a comb to run through the mane.
“If you’re at a show by yourself, the most important thing is to check the feet before you go into the ring to be sure you haven’t picked up a stone or anything during warm-up,” Gude notes.
This article originally appeared in the June 2019 issue of Horse Illustrated magazine. Click here to subscribe!