If you tell someone you fell off a horse, it sounds like something potentially tragic happened. But if you instead say that you ate dirt, it sounds sort of fun and lighthearted. Maybe that’s why there are so many euphemisms for falling off a horse. It’s just more pleasant to discuss an unpleasant event when you can use a creative expression to identify it.
- I bought real estate
- My horse and I went our separate ways
- I had a free bone density check
- I had a flying lesson
- I had an unscheduled footing inspection
- I visited Dirt City
- I had a dirt facial
- I used the emergency exits on Air Pony
- I performed an equine-assisted aerial maneuver
- I had an unscheduled dismount
- I bid farewell to fine leather
And finally, sing it with me…
- “I fought the lawn and the lawn won.”
Thanks to our Facebook friends for their creative contributions. Check out the full list here. Have another one to add? Leave it in the comments.
Back to The Near Side